I know it probably sounds like a broken record, but trying to find the perfect space for the studio has been a very painful and never ending roller coaster. With August 1st coming up this week, my stomach reels at the thought of fall approaching so quickly and not having a space to call our own yet. Properties are either very small or humungous or in very industrial neighbourhoods or just not accessible. I’m still incredibly shocked at how there hasn’t been a single property that is already accessible. How is that even legal? It completely baffles my mind.
I honestly don’t think I’m asking too much…an accessible space, between 1800-2000sf., near public transit that isn’t going to break the bank…come on $35.00 a square foot, are you crazy?
On the advice of my sister today I took the matters into my own hands and posted an ad on Kijiji to state exactly what I am looking for. And I already had a call and saw one place, seeing another tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed that I find a suitable place quickly…
Ill try to update this more often, I apologize for my tardiness lately!
In an effort to keep developing my skill set, today I attended a class on using Tim Holtz Adirondack Alcohol Inks. Every Tuesday, the Scrapbookers Paradise in Calgary has a Twoonie Tuesday where you can go and be taught how to use new products. If you haven’t tried this product yet, you need to especially if you like to work with inks or mixed media.
During the class, I used Watermelon, Lettuce, Wild Plum and Gold to make this beauty, which I then stamped with Archival Ink.The Alcohol Blending Solution is the key to making this marbled look. This solution reacts with the ink to “lighten, blend, rework and remove” the inks. Its pretty amazing! For this project, we used Inkssentials “Gloss Paper” this paper works well with the inks as it is non porous and made by Rangers, the company who makes the inks.
I bought the Earthtones package of inks and made some pretty amazing backgrounds. The Adirondack inks work best on non porous products. For the seahorse, I cut a square piece of plastic from a saved salad container. For the heart, I put gesso on a precut “Art Part” heart and dress form and allowed it to dry thoroughly before I applied the inks. Even with the gesso, the heart and dress form were pretty porous. But overall, I think they turned out pretty gorgeous. Can’t wait to incorporate these into some mixed media or journal pages.
Here is a link of Tim Holtz describing how to use the product.